Nursery school, elementary school and lower secondary education have the goal to allow children to acquire the Common Core of Knowledge and Skills (Socle commun de connaissances et de compétences). It is based on the recommendation of the European Parliament and the European Council on « key competences for education and lifelong learning ».
It is organised aroud seven key competences. According to the ministery, each of these is intended « to be a combination of basic knowledge, skilles to be uses in various contexts and essential attitudes throughout life ».
The seven key competences are :
1. command of the French language ;
2. proficiency in a modern foreign language ;
3. the key elements of mathematics, scientific culture and technology ;
4. mastery of ordinary information and communication skills ;
5. humanist culture ;
6. social and civic skills ;
7. autonomy and initiative.